EVERNA Knick Knack Paddy Whack, Written by Andry Chang

EVERNA Knick Knack Paddy Whack
Written by Andry Chang

Being a homeless, stray orphan, even in the advanced country of Archelia, I had a tough life. Every day was about survival, about whether I would see the morning sun again, or not.

As I walked through the dusty streets of Larter, a small town in Central Archelia, I kicked at the stones with my worn-out shoes. It had been a rough day, and I had not managed to scrounge up much food for myself. I was lost in my thoughts when I heard a strange noise behind me.

I turned around and saw an old man hobbling towards me. He had a twinkle in his eye and a smile on his face as he approached me.

"Hello, young lad," he said in a friendly voice. "Would you like to play a game?"

I looked at him warily but was curious about what he had in mind. He took my hand and started playing Knick Knack Paddy Whack by tapping with his two hands on my thumb. It was a strange game, but I played along, unsure of what was happening.

He then knick-knacked on my shoes, my knee, and so on. With each round of the game, the old man's smile grew wider, and his eyes sparkled with delight. After the tenth time, he stopped and smiled at me most warmly.

"Well done, my boy," he said. "You have endured the ten rounds of the nonsense, stress relief game I invented, Knick Knack Paddy Whack. So, here's my gift for you."

"What is it, Sir?"

"Go to Hudson Orphanage in Larter Town. Tell the caretaker, Mrs. Sarah Hudson, that James Hudson has sent you there."

I didn't know what to make of it all, but I heeded the old man's words and went to the orphanage. As I approached, I saw a woman with kind eyes standing at the door.

"Can I help you, young man?" she asked.

"I'm Jim," I said. "James Hudson sent me here."

The woman's eyes widened in surprise. "Come inside, Jim," she said. "You're in luck. We've been looking for a new boy to join our family."

As I entered the orphanage, I felt a sense of warmth and belonging wash over me. The other children greeted me with smiles, and I knew that I had finally found a place to call home.

That night, as I was full, refreshed, and my excitement subsided, I just remembered something was amiss. So, I went to talk to the caretaker.

"Excuse me, Mrs. Hudson," said I politely and sheepishly. "I wonder, can I see Mr. James? I want to thank him for telling me about this place."

Unexpectedly, Sarah's face turned pale. She gasped and paused, and then talked again. "Look, Jim, I just realized about that. James Hudson was my grandfather, and he died last year."

"W-what?"

"You see, the day he died, it was raining, pouring, the thunder was rumbling, and the old man snored in his sleep. Then he fell from bed and he bumped his head, and he couldn't get up in the morning."

It was my turn to gasp.

"We immediately took him to the nearest hospital, but he passed away the next day."

I couldn't believe what I was hearing. The old man who had played knick knack with me and gifted me was none other than a ghost. I was so frightened that I couldn't move, and Sarah noticed that. She put her hand on my shoulder and said, "Don't be afraid, Jim. Grandfather James was a kind soul. He used to help the orphans in town."

I looked at Sarah, feeling confused and asked, "How did he help them?"

Sarah smiled and said, "Grandfather James used to give gifts to orphans. He would always play knick knack with them and give them a present. It was his way of showing love and care for them."

I listened intently, realizing that I was not the only orphan to have received a gift from the kind old man. After he founded the orphanage, James added to the gifts by sending the strays to his orphanage.

Sarah then walked me to a room where the grandfather clock was kept.

"This clock belonged to my grandfather," she said. "It was his most prized possession. He used to wind it up every week and make sure it kept perfect time."

I stared at the clock, feeling a bit sad. I couldn't believe that such a beautiful piece had stopped working since the old man died. I looked at Sarah and said, "He was a good man, wasn't he?"

Sarah nodded, "Yes, he was. But now it's time for you to rest, Jim. Tomorrow, we will start your new life here in the orphanage."

I felt a bit uneasy, knowing that I would be living in a new place, but Sarah's words of encouragement made me feel better. She showed me to my room and wished me goodnight.

As I lay in my bed, I couldn't help but think about the kind old man who had played knick knack with me. I wondered if his spirit still lingered in the orphanage, watching over me and the other children. I closed my eyes, feeling a sense of peace, knowing that I was in a safe place now.

And so I sang, "This old man, he plays seven. He plays knick knack up in heaven."

Comments

Popular Posts